Monday, June 28, 2010

National Pride, or Lack Thereof.


I got a bone to pick with you people. It's a matter of national pride here. So the United States was in this thing called the World Cup, right? Pretty big deal. But since it's soccer, many of you folks flat out don't care. Granted none of you will actually read this, but I'm still calling you out. I can handle people not caring, I know, soccer is boring to those that don't love it or have played it. I'm not forcing you to watch it, nor am I asking you to. But what I am asking, is that you at least pretend like you have national pride. Whatever happened to being proud of being an American? What happened supporting your nation in athletic competition? It disgusts me some of the things I've read on Facebook and Twitter, and you people should show some national pride.

Okay, so you don't like soccer, fine. But when you people start ragging on the people that do, I got issues. Reading statuses (stati?) that say things like "Now that the US is out, you can all stop pretending to like soccer," "I'm tired of all these World Cup statuses, the US sucks get over it," and "Sweet US is out, we can all stop pretending to care." just piss me off. Okay I get it, you hate soccer, but what about America? If you don't like soccer, either leave the issue alone or say "Too bad the US is out..." something along those lines is acceptable. I've had many a people tell me "Oh who cares about US soccer" and to those I always respond, you should. This is global competition, not the MLS. This is our country's players, the least you could do is support their efforts. Some people don't care for the Olympics, but they don't celebrate when the US doesn't win the gold. Why celebrate our exit of the world cup, it makes me sick.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it does dishearten me to see people happy that the US is out of the World Cup. I can understand you not giving a damn about soccer or US soccer, but calling out those who do when your country's team loses is below the belt. You can not watch it for all I care, but all I ask is that you root for them. You hope they go far, for national pride. I guess that's too much to ask these days...

Show some national pride people, I'm tired of so many people not supporting the country, whether it's the troops or our nation's teams, the least you can do is support them, they've earned that much at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment