Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Different Kind of Consequence of Sex



We all know the risks of sex right? STDs, babies, awkward encounters for the rest of your life, maybe she lied about her age, blah blah more witty answers. But how about getting kicked off a team? You're probably thinking, "Oh, must have slept with the coaches daughter..." Well I guess he may have, if the coaches daughter is also his girlfriend.

Brandon Davies, a sophomore forward at Brigham Young University, has been dismissed from the team for having sex with his girlfriend. I can't make this stuff up people.

And it's not like Davies is a scrub, he's arguably their second best player, and on Wednesday New Mexico proved that they need more than just Jimmer to win, beating BYU 82-64. BYU was in the driver's seat for a one-seed, one that this blogger feels they did NOT deserve.

But how can a school or a team kick a player off for having sex, you ask? We have freedoms, right? Well right off the bat, BYU is a private school, so no on the freedoms. Trust me, 12 years of private school have taught me that.

But BYU can kick him off the team because by having premarital sex violated the schools Honor Code. Yes, BYU has an honor code that all students must comply with. This honor code, which you can check out, includes such gems as no profanity, no use of alcohol or tobacco, living a chaste and virtuous life, and my favorite a dress code.

Coincidentally, I learned by reading this honor code that I am in violation of BYU's code. "Men are expected to be clean-shaven; beards are not acceptable." Oh darn...

Well, I guess I have to give credit to BYU for sticking to their guns. With so many programs allowing their players get away with pretty much anything and still allowing them to play, it's refreshing to see a university implement rules and actually enforce them, as absurd as the honro code may be, at least they're sticking to it.

1 comment:

  1. I give props to BYU for following through with the punishment, especially for an athlete. Davies made a dumb decision that he knew could possibly effect his career and life and got caught (I don't know how, I guess that's another story). He has to live with the consequences that he brought on himself

    ReplyDelete