Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lockout Over, Free Agent Frenzy Follows


The lockout is over (HOOOORAY) and the free agency frenzy has been well underway. There have been a ton of a moves, and a lot of moving and shaking over the past few days, but how involve were the Lions?

The Lions didn't make any big splashes, but that made some good moves. They weren't going to get Nnamdi Asomugha, Jonathon Joseph wasn't out of the question, but it would have really limited what the Lions could do to fill other holes.

Detroit Lions Offseason Grade: B (thus far)
The Lions did a good job of filling holes on defense and bringing in quality guys. Justin Durant is a solid linebacker, but has had some injury problems, not somebody I wanted, but they got him for a fair price (I guess.) Rashied Davis is a signing that makes me go "meh." We needed a veteran 4th wide out, but there were other guys I would have liked to see us pursue (Brandon Stokley in particular.) Eric Wright is a guy that showed some talent, but was abysmal last year in Cleveland. But the best signings were Steven Tulloch and the resigning of Chris Houston. Without those two signings, the offseason would be an F. That's how much I like that these signings.

I would have liked to have seen the Lions sign these guys instead (all guys signed for doable contracts) Brandon Stokley, Barret Ruud, Nick Barnett, Chris Houston, and one of the veteran corners that were cut, like a Nate Clements.

Obviously, I am not a GM, I don't know what it would have taken to get those guys, some or all, but those were guys I would have liked to see in Detroit next season.

But the Lions did a good job of addressing needs with good value guys. Expect them to be competing for a potential playoff spot next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment