Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Detroit Acquires Kyle Quincey from Tampa Bay

Chris Chelios (left) with Kyle Quincey

The Detroit Red Wings have acquired defenseman Kyle Quincey today from the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Quincey was traded from Colorado to Tampa for forward Steve Downie. Tampa then sent Quincey to Detroit for a 2012 1st round pick and minor leaguer Steve Piche.

Just learned the specifics, we have Steve Yzerman to thank for this. Colorado did not like what we offered them directly. Then in stepped Yzerman to make a deal with Colorado after prearranging what Detroit would give Tampa. Brilliant.

Quincey used to be a Red Wing until he was claimed off Waivers in 2008 by the Los Angelas Kings.

I like this trade. I don't love it, but I don't see anything wrong with it. A 1st round pick sounds like a hefty price, but the Red Wings are known for finding talent with later picks, and it's not like this pick is a top 10 pick.

Quincey is a solid, young defender that's gritty and does what's necessary to get the job done. I don't know of his contract situation, but it may be a guy the Wings plan on extending because of his age, and he may be a cheaper solution to if Brad Stuart's price tag gets too high.

I don't know what this means for Commadore or Kindl, but the Wings wanted to solidify that 6th defensive spot. Commadore's been banged up frequently this season and Kindl isn't quite there yet. He needs to get tougher and grittier, especially approaching the grind of the season.

Overal I like the trade, never hurts to improve your team without having to lose a core player.

UPDATE:

I’ve noticed quite a handful of people are upset with the deal. I don’t think a lot of you understand that this trade is also an insurance policy for the very real possibility of losing Brad Stuart. His price tag may be out of the Wings price range.

Plus Quincey is a solid player. When he was here he wasn’t good enough to crack the lineup. He went somewhere else and he blossomed. Now he’s good, young, and back

2 comments:

  1. Editing is a process... And by process I mean something I don't do until long after I post it

    ReplyDelete