Monday, September 27, 2010

Ducks Fly High, Win 2-1

Midfielder Josh Andaloro chases down the ball for the game-winning goal
The Mighty Duck Men's team took the field Sunday, looking to rebound after their disappointing 3-2 loss a week ago. The Duck squad came out determined to right the ship and get in the victory column for the first time.

Keeper Dave Cobb says "I always know how a games gonna go based on the first shot I face. If the first shot that gets to me is easy to handle, then I have a good feeling, if it's from a dangerous area, then I get that 'uh-oh' feeling. Today, the first shot I had was one of the easiest I have ever seen..."

But would his vision come true? The first half went scoreless until the last second, when a 1 v 1 broke out, keeper Cobb charged out and made a dive at the ball, but it found it's way in. But the shooter on the follow through stepped on the ankle of Cobb, turning it and cutting it badly. "I had never felt more pain in my ankle than I did at that moment, I wasn't sure what happened. But I knew I had to play, the team needed me."

Cobb hobbled his way to the other side at the other half, clearly the ankle was going to hinder his play. Luckily, the Ducks rallied by the image of their keep out there, managed to keep most of the danger away from him. Everytime he punted the ball or ran at a ball, he came up hobbling, but he kept on pushing.

Inspired by their keep, the Ducks upped the attack. Early in the first half the found the equalizer when Erik Groduss sent a low cross over to Ryan Williams who buried the bunny of a shot. Later, Josh Andaloro netted the go-ahead goal from an off angle. "When I hit it, all I was saying was 'GET IN, GET IN' and when it snuck in, I new we had this," said the midfielder.

Cobb held strong in the back, keeping everything he faced in the second half out of the net. The Ducks held on to win 2-1 and on the sideline it was like they just won the championship. It was the squad's first non-forfiet win ever, and they were excited.

The Duck's Coed However tied 2-2. In short, they got screwed by a blatant blown call on an offsides that was not called in the first half. Dayna scored the, then Duncan scored the second. Cobb was solid in net, both goals were 1 v 1's and one should not have counted. They look to rebound next week and get the W.

No comments:

Post a Comment