Sunday, September 12, 2010

TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!! Oh wait...


Well, there was quite the load of good football on this weekend. MSU played at Ford Field, for their first "road" game of the season. Yes, folks, FAU was the home team for a game in Detroit... Don't ask how that worked out I don't know. Michigan squandered a 21-7 lead only to win in dramatic fashion. The other college games, well the other big games, were rather disappointing. Georgia South Carolina peeked my interest. And how about James Madison? Going to Blacksburg and beating Virginia Tech, that shouldn't happen. Too bad this makes Boise's win look worse, and it may cost them... Well let the recaps BEGIN!

I wont really mention the MSU game for two reasons: They were playing FAU, and cuz of the first reason, I didn't watch much. From what I read, everyone is disappointed that MSU didn't control the game more than they did. The D didn't look as good as it should have against a team like Florida Atlantic. But I'm a bottom line guy, and bottom line is, they won. So what up Spartans in the D. Tough game for the Spartans, Notre Dame looks like a solid team, and with MSU's defense being questioned, this may not end well for Sparty... BUT alas, we have two things going for us, 1) It's at home. 2) Brewer's Bruin returns again. Taking the Sparties in this one.

But how bout that Wolverine game? That was a thriller, but yet... it shouldn't have been. I don't want to hear you Notre Dame slappies "Well if Crist hadn't gotten hurt..." That's too damn bad because he did. Everything changes, game plans, play calling, everything. The result? It may change, but you can't guarantee they win with Crist. But recognize that every aspect of the game changes. Not just the score, everything. It happened the way it did so deal with it. Now on to the actual game... That should not have been that close. Michigan's offense was lack luster and the "savior" and "heisman winner" Denard was terrible throwing the ball. He just showed up when it mattered. But I can't ignore 500 total yards. It could/should have been an even bigger day, but 500 total yards from a QB is amazing I don't care who you play. Michigan is set up to easily go 5-0 with games against UMASS Bowling Green and Indiana before the State game. Rich... your job should, key word should, be safe.

Now I would like to address the travesty of the Lions game. First of all, the defense played amazing, the team was lack luster at best without Stafford. Javid had a nice debut. But let's get to the issue. I can't blame the refs, I can blame Calvin for not just bringing the ball into his chest, instead he assumed everything was a TD and let the ball hang out and let it go... but now I have to get to the part that I am pissed about. How long is this "catching process?" He got two feet in, he was brought to the ground, he was on the ground for long enough to establish possession, but yet he didn't complete it. Hmmm, I don't know... looks like a catch to me... I can't blame the refs because they correctly interpreted a poorly written rule. A question was posed to me, and it is a legitimate question... How come if a ball carrier dives for the pylon and loses it, it's a touchdown because he breaks the plain, and the wide out has to hold the ball for an eternity? Well, this is the first time that the process of a catch rule has been an issue. Most times you see the guy get his two feet, but when he hits the ground the ball comes out. In this case he gets two feet, hits the ground and still has it, seemed like he dropped it in celebration to me. Calvin should have been more cautious and never let that thing go, but still. That was a touchdown, and a garbage interpretation of a rule that must be fixed.

But as it stands, the Lions are 0-1, but I still think they'll go 6-10, and next year they'll make the playoffs. Hopefully Stafford stays healthy. But we'll have to wait until next week, and I am predicting a win against the Eagles. Bold yes, but I'm sticking to it. I'll take State against Notre Dame, and obviously Michigan vs UMASS.

No comments:

Post a Comment