Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My First Day on Spartran Nation


Yesterday I started my internship at MIEntertainment Radio in Lansing to work with a man that I knew two things about: His name was Hondo, and he was a huge Spartan fan. I had no idea what to expect, but I figured I would just be behind the scenes learning how to run the soundboard, take calls, you know, the boring stuff of radio.

My day started off with me meeting with Jim, my boss and the boss of everyone pretty much, but there was one problem... I couldn't get in. Usually I go in the front, that door was locked. Went to the backdoor because a sign said knock on the backdoor when not during business hours, or something like that. So I did... for about 15 minutes. Went to the front door, knocked there, and got in right away. So, I was in the building, took me awhile, but I got in. Persistence is key.

I sat in on the recording of the last segment of Jim's show, and saw how the prerecorded shows are made, edited and labeled. He said if I remembered everything after one day I would win some kind of reward. Sadly, I will not be receiving this reward, because I forgot almost everything... keyword, almost...

But then I got to meet Hondo, who is 6'9, so he towers over me. But he was a very friendly, and energetic guy. Apparently it's a running joke that no one likes working with Hondo, so I was a little worried about being his intern...

We had about an hour and change to kill before the 6:00 show, and Hondo was preparing things for the Spartan Nation website. And I had the pleasure of meeting his son, Duffy, who said some of the funniest things I had heard in my entire life.

Six o'clock is approaching, I'm expecting to be called into the back, be behind the scenes and learn how to produce the show... Safe assumption for a day one intern right?

Wrong: Hondo hands me a pair of headphones, says have a seat, grab a mic. Day one, Dave the Intern is going on the air. I was caught by surprise, but super excited to be on the show on my first day. First segment I introduced myself, talked a little bit about Delvon Roe, then jumped behind the scenes for the next two segments to run the board for two interviews Hondo had lined up with a football recruit and basketball recruit. Pretty damn good stuff too.

Next segment I get on, we take emails. And much to my surprise, I was the subject of a fairly good amount of email...

First email, a girl asks for a picture of Dave the Intern on the website, which leads to Hondo admitting to seeing thousands of men naked in the locker-room and never finding anything attractive about a man ever... and Jim saying I am an attractive young man.

But that was the only piece of fanmail I received... All the rest of the email was calling out Dave the Intern... Apparently I'm not well liked. Hondo reassured me that's just how his audience is. My goal is to win over Spartan Nation...

Overal, it was a great first day, and I will do my best to let you guys know when Dave the intern is on the air, and be sure to check out Spartan Nation!

No comments:

Post a Comment