Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Lions Trade Sims.


The Lions traded linebacker Ernie Sims in a three team deal that landed them former Western Michigan Tight End Tony Scheffler. The trade makes 0 sense. Even if it means that Pettigrew's surgery isn't going as smoothly, why would we trade a starting, young linebacker for a back-up tight end. I don't have an answer for this trade. The Lions already had a hole at linebacker to fill by failing to resign (or at least making no attempt to) Larry Foote, they create another hole in the leagues worst defense. It makes 0 sense. If they had picked up a good linebacker in free agency then maybe this deal would make sense, but they didn't.

I'm not saying Sims was the best linebacker in the NFL, I don't even think he was the best one on the team (that goes to Julian Peterson) but he was a solid starting linebacker. Players like Zach Follet and Deandre Levy are going to have to step up. It also wouldn't hurt if the Lions got a linebacker in the draft or in free agency. I believe Larry Foote still doesn't have a team. But the bottom line is the Lions traded a guy they needed for one they didn't Typical Lion move, one that makes the fans saying, "What the F***???"

I had hipes for the direction the team was moving, but they just took a step in the wrong direction. I'm not going to abandon hope because of one dumb move, but if it turns into dumb move after dumb move, then it's the Millen era all over again. the draft is coming, and hopefully they have another good draft like last year.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know how much his contract was, but being a first rounder, I assume that we're trying to clear up space to sign the second pick in the draft. I mean, we've only had a top ten pick in like 10 out of the past 11 years, or something like that. Don't get me wrong, I hate the trade, but it seems like a reasonable explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably a money issue, but it just creates another hole for the Lions to fill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that with Suh and Vanden Bosch we have a formidable d-line, and games are won and lost in the trenches, so maybe if we can pick up a solid second round db our d might not be all that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally I'd prefer the other Dtackle, excuse me for not knowing the name off the top of my head, I wanna say Okung but I think he's the O-tackle. It's early and I have other things on my mind. But I would prefer him because he's a 4-3 guy and Suh is most likely a end in a 3-4. That's where he'll fit best, but he is pure talent and strength, he could work here. Who knows? I'm not a scout

    ReplyDelete