Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Is the NFL Trying to Take the Tough Out?


The NFL announced that they are going to crackdown on these helmet to helmet hits. Sunday saw an unusual amount of bell-ringing hits that left players with concussions and injuries. The debates amongst the experts, ex-players, and current players are heated, so now it's time for the most qualified person in the world to chime in, The Bearded Fellow. Oh and I am completely sarcastic with my qualifications...

Although I do agree that head-hunting players need to be fined and suspended, I disagree with the NFL's sudden crackdown. Hits like Brandon Merriweather's deserve to have him fined, suspended, and hell I'll even say ejected from the game. It was a dirty, no class hit and he was trying to hurt Todd Heap on that play.

But plays like Zach Follet's injury, James Harrison's hit on Mohamed Massaquoi, or Dunta Robinson's hit are not hits that seem malicious. Harrison's was iffy, but it appeared to me that the hit came high on Massaquoi because he lowered his head and pad level. These hits can be hard to avoid, and these big hits have been promoted and glorified by the NFL, so it's programmed in the players, especially the young guys, that the big hit is what gets them noticed.

I think that enforcing possible ejections or having the officials focus on these hits creates a lot of gray area. An official will now have to interpret if the hit made was an intentional helmet to helmet, or if it was just a case of the defender trying to make a play and the helmet contact came from the offensive player lowering his head and pad level.

But what about those devastating blocks? Does the NFL plan to do anything about those? They made the crack-back block illegal (See Hines Ward block) but what about those special team blocks? Guys lead with there helmet on blocks and blindside guys with a block all the time. They're defenseless too, are you going to protect them? I don't think the NFL should, with the exception of blocks that, like the hits, lead with the helmet and go for the head.

Bottom line, these NFL rules for protection are good, but produce so much grey area. The roughing the passer rules are just absurd at this point. (Roughing the passer if you touch a QB in the head, not just hit, but touch, as in graze him with you hand) I understand it wants to protect the players, but how much will this actually change? Not much until people start getting ejected and suspended.

I just read a story that James Harrison is considering retirement if he can't adjust the way he hits people. I support him on this one. His hits, to me, were legal. Only one was questionable, but the officials on the field called it a legal hit. There was no head hunting on the play, just a linebacker making a big hit on a receiver. The same kind of hit that has been glorified by the NFL, as you will see Schlereth point out.

Also, I just saw this video now, and I think it sums up how I feel on the issue perfectly. All for suspensions and fines of malicious hits, like Merriweather's, but the NFL is overreacting. Plus, Mark Schlereth brings some insight that I was unaware of and makes great points in his rant. Watch it and enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. maybe im biased cuz desean is on my fantasy team, but that hit is ridiculous. theres no reason that robinson needed to rock his shit. dunta could have stood there and desean would have fallen over from impact. as you said, its hits like these that are glorified by the nfl. i was watching tedy bruschi today and he was sayin that these are world-class athletes. they have time to adjust their hits. no reason to go for a guy's head. i don't want the nfl to soften up and eliminate the physical aspect, but they do need to crack down on this. i dont know how they should go about doing it, but a first step is better than no step

    ReplyDelete
  2. merriweather's hit looked like intent. give him at least six games at least no pay. thats ridiculous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dunta's I think was two guys going fast at each other. IT was bang-bag. Look up his comments on it if you can. Both guys got concussions, and I don't think Dunta's hit was malicious. I have no issue with that, it appeared to me that he wasn't leading with his helmet. But that's just my perspective

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave Scott said it best, "Playing in the NFL is not something you are sentenced to do, you don't have to do it, nobody makes you do it. It is a privilege and every single guy who plays in the NFL understands that these hits are part of the game. If you don't want to be hit like this, if you don't want to hit like this then you don't have to play."

    Hits like Merriweather's are cleary just wanting helmet to helmet contact with no intent on tackling the opponent and I think he should definitely be fined and suspended...but that was the only fine/suspension worthy hit I saw

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you on that. I didn't really see finable hits with the exception of Merriweather's hit.

    BTW That quote is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other than dunta robinsons, all hits led with the head making first contact with the player on a non-wrapping up hit. The fines and sudden crackdown are ridiculous in my opinion, but the league is taking steps onthe right direction to keep veterans from becoming zombies at 60.

    ReplyDelete