Saturday, February 26, 2011

A Look at Classic Sport Titles


Recently I purchased MVP Baseball 2004, that's the one with Albert Puljos on the cover. Oh yeah, classic game. With the likes of Nate Cornejo, Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman, Omar Infante, Eirc Munson, Bobby Higginson and DEAN PALMER, still on the Tigers roster.

This got me thinking... what are some of the great sports games of back in my childhood days... There were tons of classics, and I'm in a reminiscing type mood. Plus their sport games, so the Bearded Fellow is permitted to speak on this. Anywho... ;et's get crackin, and these are in no particular order.

The MVP Baseball Series (03-05)
MVP Baseball is by far the best baseball franchise I have ever played, followed closely by another game that will be mentioned later... The games were easy, fun, and had the absolute BEST music in any sports game I ever played. It had songs on there before they were popular that later became popular (Honest Mistake- Bravery, C'mon C'mon- The Von Bondies, Please- Maxeen, Swing Swing- All-American Rejects.) The game was fun, it wasn't veery in-depth with fancy features, but it was quick, simple and the game-play is the best of any baseball game I've played. The 2k Series has better presentation, but MVP Baseball is stil my favorite baseball game of all time.

All-Star Baseball
There were two all-star baseball games on the xbox that I had, I don't recall their years, but they were fun. They were the Derek Jeter equivilant to Kobe Byrant's Courtside games for the N64. All-Star Baseball was a fun game with a cool feature of an expansion team. You can create a team and go through the process of an expansion draft. Obviously you didn't get to pick the best guys, but it was fun and interesting way to play the game. It was a fun feature that I personally believe more games should use. Classic game that I do believe I still own somewhere... I gotta find it.

NHL 2001
NHL 2001 for the PC was probably the best hockey game I have ever owned. It was amazingly fun, it had the awesome feature of hitting the refere through he glass, you know it's legit when you can do that. But my favorite feature was the expansion draft. You could take over Minnesota and Columbus and do their expansion drafts for them, a feature that was absent in the playstation 2 version. This was a great feature, and it made the game even more fun. Fantastic game.

NCAA Football 2003
Now this was my game, with Joey Ball Game on the cover. No real outstanding features, just a fun football game that I played for years. This was the only NCAA football game I owned for the Xbox til 06, and why would I need a new one with such an amazing game. I had a dynasty in which I got fired from Harvard. Then I took a job at Eastern Michigan, and after only a few seasons of mediocre football, I made them a powerhouse. Won about, oh 12 national championships in a row maybe? What a fantastic game.

There are many other sport games that didn't get mentioned here, every blitz and hitz game ever made, Madden 64, actually now that I mention it, Madden 64 deserves to be in here. It was amazing. The fantasy draft was the best feature ever. So much fun... But I leave out some great games because I want you, the reader, even though I know you won't... to write a comment of your favorite all time sports game and why. Do it, I know you can...

No comments:

Post a Comment