Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bearded Bracketology: Let the Madness Begin


Selection Sunday.  It's that day that every team works for, whether it's the midmajor teams hoping for a chance or the top teams battle for the top seed and a beneficial regional placement.

It's like that first day of spring.  The grind of the season is over and college basketball starts a new.

This year should shape up to be a dandy of a tournament, with no real top team and a lot of good solid teams in the field.  Anything can happen. (Well, except maybe a 16 seed winning a game. Some day...)

Although most sports bloggers will probably tell you their final four, upsets and list off reasons why they're right.  Truth is, they don't know jack... and guess what? Neither do I.  The tournament is a crap shoot and that's what makes it great.

So in my expert opinion, here's some things to watch for in the 2013 rendition of the NCAA tournament:

  • Watch the games.  They're gonna be good.  Even the low seeds will give the higher seeds trouble this year.  Minnesota an 11, Oregon's a 12, South Dakota State has one of the best players in college basketball, and you've probably never heard of him. (Nate Wolters)
  • 1 seeds on upset alert.  The top seeds of this tournament aren't ever Final Four locks, this year especially.  Gonzaga hasn't been tested, Indiana went through the grind of B1G ball, Louisville struggled mightily for a stretch and Kansas could face matchups that will give them fits.
  • The Big Ten.  The Big Ten has been hailed as the best conference in basketball this season, will it translate to their first national champion since Michigan State in 2000?
In terms of our two local schools, Michigan State got a draw that really could favor them.  They should handle Valpo no problem, but Memphis will be a challenge.  The 30 win team from Conference USA has no shortage of athleticism, but I don't expect this Izzo team to fall flat early.  The Spartans then could potentially face Duke, and Coach K will not want to see this Izzo team in March.  MSU would be a matchup nightmare for the Blue Devils and could definitely get to the Elite 8 over the 2 seeded Duke boys.  

Ultimately, I expect MSU to make to the Sweet 16.  I haven't decided who I am going to officially take in the Duke/MSU matchup, but just for S's and G's, I'm going Sparty.  But Elite 8 is as far as I'll take them.  But I'm usually wrong.

Now Michigan on the other hand, has themselves a tougher draw, but one that could work in their favor.  Should be a fun matchup against the South Dakota State Jackrabbits.  Two of the best point guards in the country with Trey Burke and Nate Wolters.  Michigan has the better team so should win... SHOULD.  After that they'll probably have a date with VCU.  That will be a great game to watch; two teams that match up well with each other.  I will take Michigan in that one, but it could go either way.

Michigan to the Sweet 16.  With the high expectations going into the season and the high ranking maintained most of the year, if that's the round the run stopped many fans would see it as a failure.  And the angry, critical part of me wants to agree, but I think we saw how good this Michigan team really is as the season unfolded.  Talented, but not all there and missing that killer instinct.  Michigan has that potential to upset Kansas, but I'll take the Jayhwaks in that matchup and a Sweet 16 exit for the Wolverines.

But the thing that I care most about, is WHERE ARE MY HAWKEYES???? COME ON HAWKEYE NATION GOT JOBBED!!!! HAWKEYE UP HAWKEYE UP!

***** 
I'M NOT DONE YET!

I am hosting an online bracket through ESPN, so if you would like to join in the Bearded Bracketology, let me know and I will hook you up with an invite and the secret password.  It'd be greatly appreciated if you joined in, and plus it's free.  You know you're going to do at least ONE bracket, why not make it a Bearded one?

Also, I would like to do a post about my predictions and the others in this pool.  If you would like to do a quick, one-two paragraph blurb about your final four/winner and local school prediction and have it featured in my blog, let me know and send me a write up.  I think it'd be a cool feature, and you get to show off how much smarter you are than me.


No comments:

Post a Comment