Thursday, March 14, 2013

Regroup and Retool: Everyone Loves a Comeback

Regroup and retool.  Used to be the adage of a very influential basketball coach I played under in my youth.  First practice after every loss, "Time to regroup and retool."  We would then run our rear-ends off for half the practice, then finally touch a basketball or two.

Regroup and retool. After a loss, after a bad stretch in a game, after any setback I would incur "back in the day," I would hear, "regroup and retool."  It led to many great successes for me on and off the court.  I lived my youth by that montra. (I say that like I'm actually old or something... I feel so pretentious)

Didn't have a good game out on the court? Regroup and retool.
Didn't do so hot on that math test?  Regroup and retool.
Got dumped? Regroup and retool.
Rinse, wash, repeat, regroup, retool.

Somewhere along the lines, I no longer heard that voice in the back of my head telling me to regroup in retool.  It got drowned out in the noise of high school bull crap and the wild times of the college life.  (I use the term "wild" very lightly.)

Through all that has happened to me the past two years, that montra should have been ringing louder than ever before.  But it wasn't.  It was gone, almost completely wiped from memory as I became absorbed in self-indulgent apathy and self-sacrificing decisions.

Regroup and retool.  I suddenly hear Coach repeating that over and over again in my head again, just like it were St. Mary basketball all over again.  I even hear the whistle and I sigh thinking that it's time to run another "tear it down."

I have vowed comebacks and sworn change before, but never stuck to it.  Will this one be any different?  Who knows?  I can tell you one thing, those other times I started back up, I couldn't hear the voice in my head commanding me to run and blowing a whistle constantly.

Regroup and retool.  It's bout time I regrouped and retooled myself and get back to my roots.  No matter what I else I try, no matter where I may stray, sports are my thing.  I lost the passion along the way, tried to fool myself that I was beyond them.  I forgot the montra.  It's not regroup and start a new.  It's regroup and retool.

And fans, all... 3 of you?  I am regrouping and retooling.  And here's what's going down.
Every... Sunday?  I haven't decided the day, Sunday probably, I am going to do a weekly post, probably weekly wrap ups, or some interesting crap I decide to spew.   You know how I do.
I'm also reviving the Twitter dedicated to sports journalism.  I am going to (try to) keep the tweets mostly professional.  News, new posts, instant 140 character analysis, all the good shhhtuff the people like.
Guest bloggers??  Why the heck not!  I anticipate this to be done zero times, but if you have something you want to say and share to all my readers, I will gladly hook you up with some free publicity, I have like... 100 twitter followers sooooo I'm kind of a big deal (in my head anyways)

Here's what I'm going to be covering in my head right now:  Local Michigan sports (duh) noteworthy national stories, random sports stories that I can't resist, and I'm adding Barclay's Premier League soccer to my docket, now that DirecTV lets me watch Fox Soccer.

On the docket for tomorrow, I will write up about the Michigan and Michigan State games, other fascinating stories from the conference tournaments, aaaaaaaaaannnnd that's it. Probably.  I don't know.

Well anyways, thank you all for reading this.  I am sorry to have deprived you for so long, as a thank you, I'll be posting a piece for my late night readers right after I spread this throughout Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and other magically things on the internets.

(I need a cool sign off at the end of posts that are like this, not news, someone give me ideas, hit me up with comments or something)

Stay classy, intrawebs.

No comments:

Post a Comment