Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Fister Traded, Nathan Added


Well this has been a busy two days for Los Tigres.

Yesterday, we were shocked with the Doug Fister trade to the Nationals for utility man Steve Lombardozzi, Robbie Ray and Ian Krol.

Not exactly the return Tiger fans wished for when the news broke Fister was traded.
Quite frankly, I don't blame them.  We got a switch hitting Don Kelly, (wannabe cuz no one can be Don Kelly,) a minor league starter and a bullpen guy.

Ian Krol will probably have the most immediate impact player.  Lombardozzi will make the team, but probably as a Ramon Santiago replacement.  Or even, as inconceivable as this may seem, replace Don Kelly, who just signed a 1-yr $1 mil deal hours before the trade.

Robbie Ray isn't there yet, so he'll probably have a year starting in Toledo.

The arms are solid arms with potential, both Ray and Krol are 22 years-old.

But as Dombrowski said after the trade, "we're not done."

Today it was announced the Tigers have agreed in principal to a deal with free agent closer Joe Nathan.
The deal is reportedly worth $20 million over two years.
Nathan, 39, posted 43 saves in 46 opportunities, a solid era of 1.39 ERA and a .90 WHIP

I don't need to tell you guys that Nathan has been a Tiger killer throughout his big league career, but I will anyways... Because I care.

Nathan is a perfect 36-for-36 in save opportunities against Detroit with an ERA of 1.44 and 10 strikeouts per nine innings pitched.
So if ya can't beat em, get him to join your team.

In other baseball news, my coveted free agent Carlos Beltran is reportedly close to signing with KC, so once again I hope the plan isn't for Detroit to sign Shin-Soo Choo.
And no, I don't want him because of that reason that is in your head.  I don't want him because he hits about as well as I do against lefties, with just as many strikeouts.  He's going to cost too much money for a guy that is so easy to get out in the playoffs.
I say playoffs because that's when managers carry an extra pitcher.  He would never face a righty in a late-game situation in the postseason.

But I digress.  Yes, I understand the hate towards the Fister trade.  In fact I'm on your side.  A guy with as much on-paper value as Fister, the return should have been much higher.  Teams have gotten more for rent-a-players than we got for giving up a guy that has two-years of club control left.

But, keep the faith in Dombrowsi.  Remember the Granderson deal?  Looked bad to us fans then, maybe he struck gold again.

No comments:

Post a Comment