Monday, November 2, 2009

Stay true to your colors.


What makes sports great? Is it the athletes, the competition, the thrill? Or is it the fans, the ones that follow the game with a passion, watch every game and cheer for that team as if they're lives depended on the outcome of that particular game. That's what I love about sports: being a fan. The feeling of investing in something larger than myself is something that gives me a sense of being apart of something bigger. Sure I'm just a guy screaming at the team, but I support that team. When a team loses support, the team goes. Fans are crucial. True fandom is tested in times of adversity. When your team sucks, are you gonna still root for them? When you move, are you still gonna watch them? True fans stay with their team no matter what. I am doing that now. I am a Michigan fan, it's in my blood, it's how I was raised. I currently go to MSU. I root for MSU, but I didn't just drop my allegiance to Michigan because I'm a Spartan now, even though everyone would understand if I did. In fact they expect it. But I think it is important to stay true to your team, no matter what. It's why I'm a.... oh jeeze... Lions fan. Stay with your team, don't become a fan of a team because your team sucks and that other team is good.
But on a different note on fans and sports. Sports are crucial to the fans. They are an escape. Whether your escaping from a bad day of school or work by watching your teams on Saturday and Sunday, or something much larger. Look at the way the people of New Orleans rallied behind the Saints. It was incredible, and it was a great story. Sports rally people together in tough times. When 9-11 happened, Everyone in the sports world rallied behind the city of New York. Also using this state as an example, when 9-11 happened, the Red Wings we're opening training camp. I remember they sold out the practice arena in Traverse City. Each and every Wing was blown away. People rally behind sports, and sports are the perfect escape.
Just take a second and think about it... what is an easy way to just get away for a few hours? Watching sports. I know I do it, and I bet you do it too. And for those of you that say "it's just a game," you are completely and utterly wrong. It is much more than that, and I think I've made that clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment