Thursday, November 5, 2009

Yankees win, but do we care?

Well baseball is over, in November (disgusting) but it's finally over. My Tigers choked so the playoffs were bitter for me, but nonetheless I have something I need to say. It's about the Evil Empire, the New York Yankees. Yes they had been on a World Series drought, but that still doesn't change who they are, the Evil Empire. I mean the Yankees have 27 World Series wins, 27?!?! that is just a little absurd. Now this brings up a question... Does baseball need a salary cap?
I remember when hockey put a slary cap in, I was furious. Mostly because I believed it was used to bring down the Red Wings, which I still believe it was. But here's the misconception about the Wings... they didn't need to buy their players. It became a luxury after years of success. The salary cap was put in, and the Red Wings lost the super stars but brought in their home grown talent like Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. They continued their dominance, and won a cup, almost two, in the salary cap era. But what would happen if the salary cap was put in in baseball? What would happen to the Yankees? Well they would not be the Red Wings, that's for sure. The Yankees farm system is dry. I believe a salary cap in baseball would kill the Yankees, which is why I say go for it. Well not really but I do believe it does need a salary cap. The Yankees bought that championship, They paid their players as much as an Obama bailout package. That is just ridiculous. Baseball has so many problems with it, and it has the wrong man at the helm in Bud Selig, but baseball needs a change, unfortunately I don't see it in the future.
But I do tip my hat off to the Yankees, because it takes more than just money to win. It takes execution, and they excuted perfectly.

1 comment: