Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Frustration: Another tough loss for the Winged Wheel


Oh boy did we let that one get away. Lidstrom gets two late goals and just like that, the Coyotes won this game... How did that happen???? Well it all started when Helm got called for hooking. It was hard to tell on my laptop screen, but it appeared to be a goal saving hook. There was a cluster around the net and I believe the penalty may have prevented a goal. It may not have, I don't know. But there were good plays made around the net with Howard out of position, and the puck stayed out but at the cost of a 2 minute minor. Well the Coyotes scored right away, and right then, I knew we were in for a nail-biting finish. A cluster behind the net after Stuart (who else) fails to clear the puck leads to the puck perfectly finding the skates of Ed Jovanovski. Skate-to-stick then puck to net and we have a tie game with 20 seconds left. Then the profanities start flying, and the mentors on duty tell you to keep it down... well that's what happened here at least. But all kidding aside that is inexcusable. Then in the overtime, Brad Stuart kept turning the puck over. I said BRAD STUART!!!!! more than anything else in that entire overtime. And a bad play by Stuart and bad defensive positioning by the rest led to Shane Doan getting a shot that a scrub could make, so you know it was going in the net for Doan. And you're just left wondering... How the hell did that just happen??? Well kiddies, I won't deny I am very VERY angry with this game, but I will do my job, and find the positives... I mean they have to be here somewhere. Before I do that I want to be disgusted by giving you this stat. 3 out of the last 4 game the Wings have blown a 2 goal lead. Play some damn defense PLEASE.

Well now I will try and find some positives out of that God-forsaken game I witnessed last night... This should be tricky... Okay first off, Kronwall is back. As much as I dislike Kronwall at times, he is an important part of this team. We have been struggling with our depth at defenseman, and it's nice to get an experienced guy like Kronwall back in the lineup. I expect his return to be a positive influence on the rest of the season, and be a much needed boost to this teams attempt to right the ship. The second positive... well as much as it hurts, because we should have gotten two, but we did get a crucial point. If you're going to lose Wings, do it in OT or shootout. Get that point. We need every single point we can get right now. Obviously I am not happy we got the point, because we blew that game, but at least we didn't blow it in regulation. Get that crucial point, because it may come down to one point at the end of the season. We've never had to rely on those one point games and haven't been in such tight races, but this is what the hunt for the 8th seed is all about. Picking up any point you can get. The third positive in this bad boy would be the two goals by Nicklas. Maybe this will get him some confidence. They were both nice goals, one being a snipe backhander and the other good positioning on the powerplay. But maybe those two goals are what Lidstrom needs to get back to the top defenseman in the NHL. We all know he is one of the top, easily. He has all those Norris trophies to prove it, but this year has been a struggle for him. After all, he is 40 now, okay 39, but still he's been dominant up until age 39. So when is he going to have that down turn all veterans have before they retire? I guess right now, but if he follows the career path of all those veterans, he should play until Chelios's age. If that doesn't make sense I'll explain. It always seems like players go through a cycle. Young and learning, prime years, and the veteran down turn. Well Lidstrom's down turn starts at 39... in theory we should have him for a few more years. But that's just me being me, in all seriousness I think he's still one of the best in the game, just having a bad year for the first time since like... ever.

To the TRUE Detroit Red Wing fans, not the ones that won't joke about joining the Blackhawk bandwagon, (Just kidding Andrew, if you do read this, you're still my favorite coach) my message to you is hang in there. We are going to make the playoffs. There is so much time in the season. "Yeah, plenty of games left to blow it, Dave!" Go away pessimistic fans! This isn't the Tigers, or Pistons. This is the Detroit Red Wings, out cities rock. The most reliable team in sports. If it were some kind of product, Billy Mays would pitch them because they're a guarantee. Have faith people, do not give up on the Winged Wheel. This is the first time for alot (including myself) Wings fans that they are struggling to make the playoffs, struggling to get ahead, just struggling in general. I believe that most Wings fans are spoiled and only want to be fans when they're winning. But give them some love back after the 19 (or 18, fact check...) straight years of being in the playoffs. Show you're a true fan, by sticking through it. Support the Wings, do not give up on them. Do not be one of those "fans" that gives up whenever the team struggles. Clearly then you don't watch the Lions, didn't watch the Pistons until Dumars came to be the president of operations, but quickly turned off you television this year. And you most certainly weren't a Tiger fan like me. When they lost 119, I watched every game I could. I bet you "fans" didn't watch until Magglio hit that walk off against Houston Street. Those of you who jump ship and give up, do not, I repeat, DO NOT call yourself Red Wing fans, for clearly you are not. Support your team, do not jump ship, and most of all, do not give up on them yet, they are definitely in this one.

Detroit Red Wing Hockey: The Number One source of my frustration.

1 comment:

  1. I give you major credit for findin positives in that game. I was cussing my little heart out. lol. And seriously, I like your way of thinking. Me and my dad were just talking about how no one watched the tigers while they were losing and as soon as they started doing well, there were like a million people all of a sudden like "Ohhh I LOVE the Tigers." It's easy to cheer for a team that's winning, it takes a lot to cheer for a team when they're down. That's what we're supposed to be there for as FANS.


    Go wings. <3

    ReplyDelete