Monday, January 11, 2010

Go right through for MSU



Well Spartans, it's our time of the year again. It's time for Spartan basketball. Of course every year you have to through Michigan State in the list of contenders, and with a team that's returning so much talent, we obviously we an early favorite. MSU has done good so far this year, but one thing concerns me... We haven't won the big game. Our two toughest opponents, Texas and North Carolina, beat us pretty handedly. Now obviously we're gonna go dancing, and we're gonna go far (more than those guys in Ann Arbor can say) but what happens when we face our first good opponent in the tourney? What happens when we play Purdue? The Purdue match ups concern me, especially at West Lafayette. They have been the clear favorite and best team in the Big Ten thus far, and are going to be our toughest opponent this season. Robbie Hummel is one of the best players in the country, and Chris Kramer is a tough, hard nose defender. Will Coach Izzo be able to work his magic when we play the Boilermakers? Will Raymar show up? Will Kalin play at a top level against Purdue's defense? Who knows, but what I do know is that MSU still has something to prove. They've taken care of business against the teams that they're better than, now they need a signature win to build their confidence and increase their chances of getting to Indianapolis for the Final Four. But now, I have to set all biased opinions aside, and give my thoughts on the team and their chances. Honestly, Purdue will beat us, definitely at home, but maybe also at the Breslin. Robbie is an amazing player, almost impossible to stop. And about getting to the FInal Four... that's almost impossible to predict without seeing the bracket, but I'm going to say no right now. I think that they'll be in the elite eight for sure, but I think that's when the ride ends for the Spartans.

And as for Michigan basketball, since I don't hide to you guys I follow Michigan sports still, I am not going to abandon my roots or my team just because I go to MSU. It's not my style, and like I said before, I've only truly hated two schools: Ohio State and Notre Dame. But anyways, how bout them Wolverines? Great comeback in a must win against Penn State, quickly followed by blowing a 17 point lead against Northwestern. Can you say NIT? I can. That's where they're headed. No way they get to the big dance unless they win the Big Ten tournament. And I also believe John Beilein's job might be in jeopardy. They started as the 15th team in the nation, and they have absolutely just tanked. Losses to teams like Alabama, Utah, and Indiana are just inexcusable. Too bad, I thought they had really turned a corner with him in, but hey, thems the breaks, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment