Saturday, January 9, 2010

Roll Tide: National Champs


Well now that was a pretty damn good game. Closer than the score indicated. The Texas Longhorns (my preseason pick) and the Alabama Crimson tide. An epic battle. The heisman trophy winner Mark Ingram verses the winningest quarterback in college football history in Colt McCoy. But Colt... got hurt 5 plays in. Did that make the difference in the game? Maybe... but it definitely would have been a different ball game. I'm not gonna sit here and rant and rave that with Colt Texas would be national champs. Who knows how the game would have gone? I don't know, and neither do you. But I want to give props to the that true freshman quarterback Garrett Gilbert. That second half he played was heroic. His first action is against the best defense in the nation in the National Championship in historic Pasadena. He brought that Texas team back from down 24-6 at the half. Having said that, I want to make two anti-shout outs. A couple "What are you doing????'s" My first, goes to the Texas receivers. They had too many drops, which probably hurt the young mans confidence early on. They had quite a few key drops, including one which turned into an interception. So, what are you doing, Texas wide outs, get your game proper. My second "What are you doing" goes to the Texas play calling. The offensive coordinator was making horrible play calls in the first half. I know, Garrett Gilbert is a true freshman he's not Colt McCoy. Bull crap, he's still a Texas quarterback, there's a reason why you guys recruited him. Texas doesn't run the ball, they are horrible at it, and yet that first half with Gilbert was run run pass punt. Sound familiar Michigan fans? That's the Llyod Carr offense. It's not the Texas offense. You gotta trust the kid, and run your offense. Stick to what got you wins, don't go into a shell. My third and final "What are you doing" goes to the Texas defense, particularly to anyone who tried to tackle. I haven't seen such poor tackling since the last time I watched a Lions game. I know Ingram is good, but when a guy breaks four tackles in one play... that's a little alarming. Wrap up and tackle, fundamentals. But now I have to chalk up credit up to Bama. They dominated and controlled the play. They ran it, played hard nose defense, and Mcelroy did what he had to do to win the game. The punter did a great job not letting Shipley get any returns. Yes, I just gave props to the punter. Congrats to the Alabama Crimson Tide, you are the National Champions of college football.

Oh and on a final note, no Boise, you have no beef, I don't care if teams don't play you, go to their palce, do whatever. Get a new conference, join the Pac-10 I don't know, and I don't care. I love Boise, but I am sorry, they could not play with Alabama or Texas. That is clear and evident. And no, I do not want a playoff system.

No comments:

Post a Comment