Friday, January 1, 2010

The Granddaddy of them All


The Rose bowl game. Every New Year's day means another Rose Bowl matchup. My favorite bowl game, except when Michigan's losing it. But every Big Ten team plays for this game, same with the Pac Ten squads. This game is engrossed in tradition. This year, we have a couple of fresh opponents. Ohio State, despite their Big Ten dominance, is making their first Rose Bowl appearance since 1997 (the 1996 season.) And from the Pac 10 is USC... wait no, it's Oregon. That's right the Trojans are not in it, but to be frank as much as I hate them, I'd rather see USC than Oregon, I dislike the Ducks. But the usual suspects, USC and Michigan, will be watching this one the same way I will be, on my couch. But being from the midwest, I have a strong biased towards this game. But if you think about it, of all the bowl games, the Rose Bowl has the most tradition, hype, and the best atmosphere. It is on my bucket list to go see Michigan in the Rose Bowl. I would say State... but let's face the facts here Spartans. We haven't been there since 1988, and have no real chances in the near future. But the old classic has a couple of new teams in it. I am typing this during the game, if you want to know, it's 10-3 Buckeyes. I want... the Buckeyes to win. Big Ten Pride. Now when I finish this the game will be over, but I just wanted to get this rolling.
So am I the only one that doesn't like Brett Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit? They're alright, but I can't stand watching a Michigan game that these two clowns do. I don't think they're that good, but hey that's just my opinion.
Why did they let Legarrett Blount play? That guy is a thug. What he did was unacceptable. I applauded the coaching staff when they suspended him for the season. And yet they let him come back. I don't like that out of the coaching staff. Waffling. But then again, maybe he worked hard to earn his spot back. Hmmm two sides to every story. Well I commend him. He must have done something to earn that spot back, something saint like.
It's 10-10, and what I've seen so far I've liked. I think Ohio State has played better, but Oregon has got the momentum. I think the Buckeye defense has looked really good. If the offense smoothes things out like the first drive, they will win this Rose Bowl.
One of my earliest memories is of the Rose Bowl. And yes pretty much all my early memories are sports related. But I remember watching the 1998 Rose Bowl. Michigan vs Washington State. The National Champion Michigan Wolverines. Don't give me that Co-champ bull crap. Everyone knows Michigan would have thrashed Nebraska. their coach was retiring, and the media loved him. But I remember not the details of the game, but just watching it with friends and family. It is a family event watching the Rose Bowl, and it just so happens to be my dad's birthday. Happy Birthday Pop. But the Rose Bowl has so much tradition with my family. That's why it pains me when Michigan isn't in it, and even more when they lose it. But I guess that's why I love it so much, it has a deep tradition within me.
10-10 4th and short... if they don't go for it, I'm going to be upset with the sweatervest. Okay they went for it and got it, but back play calling. Gotta run it on first and goal. So now it's 13-10.
16-10 at the half, I like what I've seen. The Buckeye defense needs to contain Masoli and the Oregon offense, and continue this consistent offense.
4th quarter, 19-17 Ohio State. Been a good game, I hope it continues, and hope you, the reader, is enjoying the game, well did enjoy the game by the time you read this. I have a good feeling that the Buckeyes will get points on the board. SO i just saw the most absurd play, what a catch. Pryor with a desperate throw, what a play. TOUCHDOWN Buckeyes, I told you guys, they were putting up points. I bet you this guy is gonna miss... Wide right, too bad. And the Buckeyes are driving, killing that clock. Jim Tressel ball. This great game is nearing it's conclusion, and as much as I hate them, it looks like the Buckeyes are going to win. And I'm happy about that, Big Ten pride. And it's the victory formation.
So this great bowl game has a victory from the good side again. The Roses are back in the Big Ten. Congrats Ohio State on winning the 2010 Rose Bowl.

Happy New Year fans, I do still blog, just been struggling for inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment