Thursday, March 4, 2010

Trade Deadline Assessment:


Well the NHL trade deadline has gone and passed, but no real big moves. The Wings made one deal, Kyle Newberry for Jordan Owens. Minor leaguer for minor leaguer, nothing big, Which I am disappointed but not surprised at. But there were deals made, and I am going to assess the winners and losers of the deadline.

Winners:
Colorado Avalanche. They made what I thought was the best and biggest deal of the day. They sent Wolski to Phoenix for Porter and Mueller. I love this deal for Colorado. Wolski is good, but so is Mueller, and Porter has the potential of a very good player. He won the Hobey Baker in his college days at Michigan. Good deal for the Avalanche

Toronto Maple Leafs. They got rid of so many players. The days leading up to the deadline and at the deadline, they dumped a lot of players. How can a seller be a winner? When they are as bad as the Leaf. They accumulated picks and prospects and with a young core with Phaneuf and Phil Kessel, the Leaf are a few years away from being good. But it's coming, so no worries Leaf fans (Matt I'm talking to you) the woes of losing are coming to an end soon.

Washington Capitals. The big winner of the deadline here, the best team in the East getting stronger. They addressed the penalty kill by acquiring Scott Walker. They also got defensemen Milan Jurcina and Joe Corvo. Eric Bellanger is also a new capital. Good deals for Washington as they addressed their one weakness: penalty kill.

And the losers of the deadline:

Philadelphia Flyers. The Flyers need one thing, every year... goaltending. They did nothing. With Ray Emery done for the year, who's playing between the pipes for the Flyers? I have no idea but it's not going to be pretty. Maybe they conceded defeat to the Capitals, but they did not address their one big need.

Vancouver Canucks. Another team that pretty much stoop pat. They had a couple deals, but they did not bolster the blue line. I felt with the injuries to their defense they needed some depth defensemen, and they failed to do that. It could be a sticky situation in Vancouver as they try to make a run at the cup. In Roberto they trust.

Calgary Flames: What were they doing? Trading away Phaneuff and Jokinen? Well maybe Oli wasn't working out, but they traded away quality for quantity. Traded Deon for a boat load of Leafs... who are apart of a losing program, not a winning one. I don't like the deals they made, it was quantity over quality. Bad moves Flames, Iginla needs help.

Detroit Red WIngs: This one is just a personal feeling. They did nothing when I felt they needed to make some sort of deal for a scorer or defenseman. They didn't just making one minor deal that won't have any impact this year. There probably wasn't anything to the Wings liking, and Holland doesn't make a deal unless it improves the Wings, so he knows more than me, but I'm still disappointed.

Well there's my assessment, If you disagree... too bad. LEave me feed back, I'm starting to encourage more feedback. Feel free to tear me a new one when you disagree, or blow steam up my ass when my blogs just rock your world. Leave a comment, you know you want tooooooooo

No comments:

Post a Comment