Thursday, April 25, 2013

Get Ziggy With It (puns are funny)



With the 5th pick in the 2013 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select... Ziggy Ansah, defensive end, BYU.

I can't rationally hate this pick.  No KVB, no Avril, a pass rusher was clearly our biggest need.  But why am I still not happy?

I'm still nto happy because Ziggy can't speak English.  That's because he's only been in America in 2009.  Okay, I don't have him for his broken English, but it's a part of my beef with him.

He has hardly played any football in his life.

This is a risk.  And when you're picking at number five, you can't afford to take risks.  Unfortunately for the Lions, the three tackles went in the top four, but Dee Milliner was still on the board.

In an ideal Dave Cobb world, the Lions would have traded down picked up some extra picks and still pick up a guy like Milliner, Chance Warmack, Jarvis Jones, the list of guys I like goes on.

But instead, the Lions took the one guy I had on my "Don't you dare even thing about it board."

But what else is new?  The Lions never make me happy.  Ever.

But he does have tremendous upside.  He has great size and is a tremendous athlete.  He could be the next Jason Pierre-Paul, but unfortunately for him he was drafted by the Lions.  This fills our biggest need so it can't possibly be a bad pick... right?

Bottom line, he has tremendous upside, but can he provide the immediate impact the Lions need from a #5 pick?

We'll see how this pick works out, and I won't be proven right (or wrong I guess) until he takes the field.

Let's hope this one pans out...

No comments:

Post a Comment