Thursday, April 11, 2013

Red Wings; Howard Agree on 6-year extension.


Today it was announced that the Detroit Red Wings have reached an agreement with goaltender Jimmy Howard on a six year extension.

Because I love Twitter and value every fans two-bit opinion (because  I don't.  And yes, my opinion is a two-bit opinion as well... I just blog it so it's... more words.) I did a little social media scouring to see what the overal feeling about the signing was...

And it seems the only people in love with the signing are the females that find him "dead sexy."

The rest... Most seem to hate it.  But a variation of these particular words keep coming up, and this is what I'm blogging for...

The Wings won't win a cup for the next six years... Even further than that though, they say they are "committed to not winning the cup."

Now if you remember I was harsh on Howard and was torn apart by all you lovely people back in 2010.  And now, I am taking the role of the voice of reason and there is something seriously wrong with this.

Now I don't think the Wings are winning the cup this year, but anything can happen if you get in so who knows.  I'm usually wrong about everything, but that's different story.

In Detroit over the years, myself included here, the fans here have been known to be extra harsh on three people in particular: The Detroit Lions quarterback, The Detroit Tigers closer, and The Detroit Red Wings goalie.

It's a fact.  If you don't believe me, look at Charlie Batch's first couple season stats in Detroit, or the stats of Todd Jones or best example, Curtis Joseph's playoff stats.  So many insist he's the reason for our too early exit, but he was stellar.

Jimmy Howard isn't perfect.  He's not elite.  He probably won't win a Vezna (see line "I'm always wrong") But here's one thing  I do think:  Jimmy Howard is good enough to win a Stanley Cup.

Key word here is enough.

He's not going to be the goalie that steals series after series as we run to the cup, but he can and has stolen games.  He can do that.  He is a reliable number one goaltender and is a respectable starting tender.

Now if the Wings don't win a Cup in the next six years it won't be because of the man between the pipes.  It will be because young Grand Rapids kids don't pan out and we fail to properly replace Datsyuk and any other veteran who retires.

Goalie used to be a position in Detroit where it didn't matter how good they were, they just needed to not be bad.  Which lead to the blame being on their shoulders when the star-studded teams failed to reach expectations.

But now those times are gone.  It's time to realize the talent is there between the pipes and it's lacking elsewhere on the ice.  If the Wings were even remotely as loaded as they once were, a goalie of Howard's talent would lead to a Cup.  I have no doubts about that.

Glad to have ya for years to come Jimmithy.  Here's to hoping a Cup is in our future... Cuz Damnit I will not accept a losing Wings team.

No comments:

Post a Comment