Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Beard Goes All Mel Kiper Jr


I'd been mulling over the Lions draft since it concluded yesterday around 7.  They filled most of their needs, so at least they did that.  But I can't help but think they're draft could have been better.

With the 5th pick the Detroit Lions took Ziggy Ansah, defensive end from BYU.  Fills a huge need, losing Cliff Avril, the Lions desperately needed a top end pass rusher.  But did they get it when they took Ziggy?  He has 4.5 sacks in his career.  4.5 sacks and only one year of significant playing time.  Oh and he never played football before college.

He is so raw that Gordan Ramsey would throw the Lions out of the kitchen in a glorious display of Scottish accent and cursing.

With his freakish athleticism, he could be the stud the Lions need.  But at number 5, I don't want a could be, I want a for certain.  What would I have done?  Try to trade down, assuming I couldn't... I'd probably take... Milliner?  Probably Milliner.

Second round though is where I have my biggest beef.  With other corners of perhaps more refined skill, the Lions make a pick at corner that would make Al Davis proud.  Darius Slay, the cornerback out of Mississippi State wasn't (arguably) the best cover corner on his team, let alone available at that pick.
The Lions became enamored with his 4.35 40 time.  So much so that we ignored knee problems.  Second round pick of a guy coming off a knee injury, stop me if you've heard this before.
What would I have done?  Trade down.  There were plenty of need/skill guys to make a move.  There would have been a suitor for a trade I have no doubt.  But the Lions were hell bent on getting Slay, but hey, what do I know?  I'm just a guy with a keyboard.

Third round the Lions finally make a pick I'm okay with, taking the big guard from Kentucky Larry Warford.  He will be starting and he will be a solid guard for years to come.  YaaaaaY Lions!

The fourth round pick end Devin Taylor from South Carolina next.  He's got freakish size, so no complaints here.  4th round pick guys need to make an impact in a couple years tops, this is the part of the draft the Lions haven't hit since.....................  I actually have no idea.

5th round pick... WE TOOK A PUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!  A punter who didn't even lead his sub-D1 league in yards average.  In fact, he was third.
"But Dave, we need a punter!"  Hush child.  Take one in the 7th if you're so determined to take one.  Bring in 8 punters for a try out.  They're punters, there's like 50 looking for work.  Pick one.

6th round we get a wide receiver! Yay!  Tall guy that can run but can't run routes.  Exactly what I want in a wide receiver.  Al Davis would be proud.  But 6th rounders are projects.
199th pick, the Tom Brady pick.  The Lions take a Notre Dame man in Theo Riddick.  Puuuuuuuke. Lions are taking him for kick returning I presume.  Sooo there's that.  But I don't like him.  Yes it's because his school, deal with it.

7th round here we go!  Lions take Mike Williams.  Tight End from Alabama.  Hopefully this goes better than our first Mike Williams.  But he went to Bama, and all they do is produce pros so hey I like it.
Last pick, the Lions FINALLY take a linebacker.  I've wanted one since round 2.  So we take one.  But he won't be anything but a special teamer.  Let's be real here.  Brandon "Don't Call Me Audrey" Hepburn from Florida A&M, King Kwame's old stomping ground.  He's a biochemistry major... So I guess that's cool...

On a side note, the Lions told Denard if he fell to them in the 5th, they were taking him... This makes me sad.  I wanted him.  Just because I know he'll never play QB, and when you know that, you want Robinson.

Overal, they addressed the many needs they had, so I can't complain too much.  But I'm not blown away.  I'll give them a B that could easily become an A or a D.  I do have a hunch that this was the last draft for Mayhew and Schwartz... But that's another blog for another time.

Remember folks, I know more than Mel Kiper Jr so read this, not his articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment