Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Oh it's time for some Olympic Puck.


My favorite event, and many others favorite event, is some good ol hockey. Oh it's time to suit up with your rivals, in the spirit of patriotism. THe two weeks the NHL takes off for some good ol olympic puck. I absolutely love the Winter Games, and absolutely love hockey, so of course I love me some Olympic hockey. I am here to tell you my gold favorite, and give you a brief look at the contenders.

First, I would like to take a look at the good ol boys playin in the Red White and BLue. The US of A. Former Spartan Ryan Miller is between the pipes for the Americans, and he is one of the hottest goalies in hockey right now. And as any hockey fan knows, if you run into a hot goaltender, you are in some serious trouble. And with scores like Phil Kessel and Patrick Kane on this squad, they could be a surprise team to make a run at the gold. They really don't have many matchings team wise, like the Canadians do, but they do have a solid unit. Vets like captian Jamie Langenbrunner and Red Wing Brain Rafalski could be key components to the US's gold medal chances. They started off 2-0 and look very impressive. The third period against the Swiss was poor, but other than that, they have looked very solid. My official prediction: BRonze Medal. I don't think they are at the level of The Canadians or Russians, but I do believe they are good enough to hang with those teams and even beat a team like Sweden to win the Bronze.

Next, everyone's gold medal favorite, the home-town Canadians. And boy are they stacked. Sidney Crosby, Rick Nash, and Jerome Iginla. That's a line. My first thought to that line was "That should be illegal." They also have the Sharks first line, Marleau, Danny Heatly, and Jumbo Joe Thorton; the top scoring line in the NHL. Oh and the top defensive pairing in the NHL with Seabrook and Keith. But wait, theres more! They also have the best Goalie in the NHL today, and the best one of all time. Martain Brodeur and Roberto Luongo. They are stacked. But the Swiss took them to a shootout... hmmm a sign of weakness? Maybe, but with Babcock at the helm, I think they will win the gold medal.

My Silver medal team, it was a toss up between Russia or Sweden, but I have to go with Russia, despite the loss to the Slovaks. They are another team that has an absurd amount of talent. Nabakov and Bryzgalov between the pipes is a deadly combination. They have Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuck, and Pavel Datsyuk all on the same roster. They are almost as stacked as the Canadians, but just not quite.

Other teams to watch: The Slovaks, the Czechs, the Fins, and the Swedes. I could go on and give more info on all these teams, but I don't have that much time. These teams won't win medals, but will play hockey that is definitely be worth your time to watch. The Swedes with Nicklas Lidstrom, The Slovaks with Marian Gaborik, the Czechs with Jagr, the Fins with the Koivu brothers; all these teams have talent that I would pay to go see play. Olympic puck is a hockey fans dream, and I am loving every moment of it. I would advise all my readers to watch Olympic Puck. It's good for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment