Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tigers Sign Damon, But was it Wise?


If you haven't heard already, the Detroit Tigers have inked Left Fielder Johnny Damon to a 1 year $8 million deal. Normally I condone 1 year deals because they are what they are. No real commitment financially and if it works out you look great. That's what I said about Hossa, Bertuzzi, Ben Wallace, and other one year deals in this city. So the same thing applies here, right? Wrong. I hate this deal. We traded away Granderson's 5.5 mil for Damons 8 mil. That makes sense, right? Plus he's 36, again perfect age for a one year hit or miss deal. But I don't think Detroit is in the position to sign those guys. We were lucky to be a contender last year, and now we lose Granderson AND Polanco and use that money towards Johnny Damon. We used Rodney's money to get Jose Valverde, who by the way says he's goign to get 74 saves. Yeah no that won't happen buddy. But I hate this deal. I used to love Johnny Damon, when he was a caveman. That was also when he was, say it with me, GOOOOOOOD. Now is a shadow of his former self. I guess if you look at it, the deal makes sense in this way: Fast, left handed lead off hitter who brings a veteran and championship presence to the the locker room, which are all things I want in a new player. But I just think this money could have been used in other, more important ways. Like resigning Placido, or maybe bringing in younger guys. I'm not talking about young prospects, but young not 36 year olds. The deal makes sense in many ways, but I am just not a fan of it. I just feel that money could and should have been used else where.

But I want to know what you think? That's right, I want some reader feed back. What do you think of this deal? Like it, dislike it, love it, hate it, LET ME KNOW!!!

Johnny Damon is a Detroit Tiger whether you like it or not...

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Dave, you know what? I think I adore you more and more every time I read one of your blogs. I'm so completely blown back by the fact that we traded possibly our best outfielder for Johnny effing Damon. And I officially love you because of the caveman statement. We should have resigned Placido. I HATE this deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a picture on the web of old damon next to a geiko caveman, it's awesome.

    i know why they did the deal, i know the upsides, I just don't like it

    ReplyDelete